NOrumbega Logo
Home Archaeology Documents Resources Artifacts


 
Archaeological Evidence of Early Maine Buildings

Phips Homestead, Woolwich, Maine

The homestead was constructed between 1639 and 1646, and was abandoned and destroyed on August 14, 1676, in a Wabanaki raid during King Phillip's War. The site was the birthplace and childhood home of Sir William Phips, the first American to be knighted the the King of England, and the first royal governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony.  Dr. Robert Bradley directed the excavation of this site from 1986-2001.

Isometic reconstruction of the Phips House

Plan of Excavation of the Phips House
More Information on the Excavation of the Phips Site
Isometric reconstruction of the Phips homestead
This isometric reconstruction, drawn by Dr. Robert L. Bradley, shows the core of the Phips homestead. It consists of a 15' by 72' longhouse, apparently divided into four rooms, with the southernmost 12' by 15' section probably serving as a byre. The house was built of earthfast construction, and is believed to have had a thatched roof. Archaeological evidence suggests the building did not have glass windows.
Return to Top of Page
Plan of Excavation of the Phips site, showing the main building with ell, and detached barn
This plan of excavation of the Phips site shows Structure 1 (the core, measuring 15' x 72'), along with Structure 2, an ell that may have measured approximately 20' x 60', and Structure 3, an outbuilding measuring 29.5' by 13.5'. All three structures were earthfast.
Return to Top of Page