Over 40,000 artifacts have been recovered from the site during
twelve seasons of excavations. Since the site was
<>Over 40, 000 artifacts have been recovered to date from the site.
Tin Enameled Ceramics
Double-click on an object to see an enlarged photo.
|A piece of a saw blade, recycled
as structural hardware.
It is almost certainly from the adjacent Chadbourne saw mill on the
Works River. The mill was a principal source of the Chadbourne's
Once worn out, saw blades were often reused. For example, in the
town of York, the Old Gaol (built in 1719) has a section of saw blade
was used as chimney flashing.
|An elaborately decorated door
hinge, known as a cockshead
hinge, from its shape, which is suggestive of four cocks' heads,
with beak, comb, and jutting chest.
|Door hardware. The pintle and
hinge are from the door
to the first bulkhead. The door lock and pull are most likely from the
front door. They were found in the bulkhead.
|This window lead is marked with
the date "1664." Found
in the parlor cellar, not far from a brick bat marked "64," They
are positive indicators for the date of construction of the parlor,
is included in Humphrey Chadbourne's 1667 probate inventory.
A range of tools have been found on site, including a hammer, axe, and a saw blade.
|Two date three pair of iron scissors have been found, and several buckles, including these fancy brass ones. These objects, along with buttons, and straight pins attest to the clothes making and clothes repair going on at the Chadbourne homestead.|
This decorated brass spur is another indication of the wealth and status of the Chadbourne family. Only about half of the families in seventeenth-century Maine even owned a horse.
|An S-hook, a length of chain,
two harness buckles, an
ox shoe, and part of an ox jaw are all indicative of how imporant oxen
were to the the Chadbournes. Humphrey Chadbourne's 1667 probate
included several pair of oxen, as well as the yokes and chains to
them. Oxen would have been essential for hauling logs to the saw mill.
Two iron bales (or handles). The smaller one is probably from a copper pot, while the larger one is from a copper kettle.
|Brick bat marked "64," found in the parlor cellar, not far from the above window lead dated 1664.|
|Clay tobacco pipes are common on the site. Several here are marked "LE" for Llewellen Evans, a Bristol, England pipe maker.|
|A burned redware cup, found in situ in the lean-to, in a room probably serving as the kitchen when the house burned in 1690.|
|Parts of a mirror with ivory handle, a deocrative piece of ivory, a bone comb, and a fancy button.|