|William Godsoe was the first surveyor of Kittery, Maine. His earliest surviving map was drawn in 1689, and his last map dates to 1725. He was called upon to draw maps that were used to show town grants, or to be used in land disputes. Many of these maps includes the houses and outbuildings that were on the property surveyed, and give us a rare view of early Maine buildings, as the following details from maps indicate. For details from more Godsoe maps, click here.|
|Humphrey Chadbourne Jr.'s Sturgeon
Creek farm (left) and Lt. Charles Frost's
farm (right), Eliot, Maine. Detail from William Godsoe, "A Plott of Mr. Humprhey Chadburns
Farm at Sturgen Creek Taken October 6-7, 1701," The Maine State Archives.
|John Shepard's homestead (left) and Paul William's house (right). Detail from William Godsoe, "Draught of a parcell of land lying in Spruce Creek, Kittery, April 4, 1689." Kittery Town Records, Volume 1, page 198.|
|Major Hammond's Garrison (left)
Richard Roger's house (right). Detail from William
Godsoe, "Richard Roger's land in the reach of Kittery, 1698," Kittery Town
Records Volume 1, page 131.