2017 NEIGC Preliminary Announcement
Friday September 29 - Sunday October 1
Hosted by Bates College Geology Department, Lewiston Maine
Conference location will be Bethal Maine
Friday night reception at the new Maine Mineral Museum
Saturday night banquet at Gould Academy's Ordway Hall
The "footprint" of NEIGC 2017 field trips will be the foothills and mountains of western Maine and the adjacent White Mountains of New Hampshire. Think of an area including Bethel, Rumford, Fryeburg, Conway, Lancaster, and Berlin.
Call for field trip leaders:
If you have worked on any aspect of geology in this area please consider leading a field trip. We are looking for trips that explore the glacial, hydrologic, bedrock, environmental, or geo-educational aspects in this region. Please pass this email on to those who might be interested in leading an NEIGC trip in the Maine-New Hampshire region. We'd like to get a sense of the field trip interest so please send a brief email by February 1st to Dyk Eusden (email@example.com) with the following information:
- A tentative field trip title A tentative list of leaders/authors
- A brief description (doesn’t need to be formal) of the general location of the trip and the focus
Other deadlines will be as follows:
- By Friday, April 7, 2017. An enthusiastic and brief description of geologic highlights and general location of the trip that will be posted on the NEIGC web site before school is out for the summer, to promote the conference.
- By Friday, July 7, 2017. A formal description that will be posted with the registration materials so people can choose which trips to go on, and make lodging arrangements.
- By Tuesday, August 1 2017. Submit final field trip manuscripts to the guidebook editor.
- Friday–Sunday, September 29- October 1, 2017 (Weekend BEFORE Columbus Day). Lead your field trip!
Dykstra "Dyk" Eusden, Professor of Geology
Department of Geology Carnegie Science
44 Campus Ave.
Bates College Lewiston, Maine 04240
(207) 786-6152 (W)
A Certificate of Attendance for Educators and professional geologists will be available for the 2016 conference. You will need to bring it and have it dated and signed by the field trip leader. We can thank Chris Dorian from C.C. Dorian Geological Services for the suggestion and implementation. (Download certificate.)