CLASS INFORMATION-PLEASE READ------
-------ESSENTIAL CLASS INFORMATION-PLEASE READ------
I'M CERTAIN THAT YOU’LL BE DELIGHTED WITH THIS ON-LINE COURSE!! Overwhelmingly students tell me they love
CLICK ON PHOTO BELOW TO RUN CLICK ON SCREEN IMAGE BELOW TO RUN
"MEET DR. CAMPBELL" VIDEO VIDEO "HOW TO BEGIN ITC117 CLASS"
Though I hope you’ll read ALL the items listed above, it is ESSENTIAL that you at least check out these items; COMPUTER SYSTEMS REQUIREMENTS ; SYSTEMS SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS ; APPLICATION SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS and VIRUS SCAN SOFTWARE . Read on! I hope you’ll join me for a great time!
Welcome to the world of on-line education at Salem State University. If you are motivated, self-sufficient and interested in a unique learning experience, then this is the place for you. Together we will go on a journey that will help you discover more about yourself as a student while you acquire great new skills that will enhance your career potential and desirability to employers. I’m pleased that you are considering signing up for my ON-LINE Computer class. Please feel free to browse around this Webpage to get an understanding of what’s involved in taking this on-line course and learn about system requirements, skill requirements, grading procedures and more.
ITC117 COMPUTERS IN THE PROFESSIONS---(AND) Getting help using CANVAS
Course Description: This course is an overview
of information processing that is applicable to all career areas, with
considerations of societal trends and issues arising from the use of computers.
With general computer concepts as a foundation, a major focus will be to
increase the students’ personal and professional productivity through the
use of various business-oriented software applications. Topics to
be covered include: operating systems, spreadsheets, database management,
word processing, graphics, and telecommunications. Three lecture hours
per week. This course satisfies the Computer Literacy core requirement.
About CANVAS: We are using CANVAS software for all courses including this one. Concerning CANVAS software---You DON'T have to buy or install any software--just log onto SALEMSTATE.INSTRUCTURE.COM. If you have trouble using or understanding CANVAS there's 24 hour help available. From 8:30am to 5:00 pm call (978-542-2036 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 978-542-2036 end_of_the_skype_highlighting). After 5:00pm call (888-301-5003 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 888-301-5003 end_of_the_skype_highlighting). In addition, your instructor is also available to help you--e-mail me or call me--contact numbers will be posted on your syllabus which is online in your CANVAS account once classes begin.
This is an On-Line course.Work whenever you find most convenient. Also, there are NO 'on-line group meetings' at all. Just be sure to watch your syllabus and e-mail and the ANNOUNCEMENTS on CANVAS for DUE DATES. BACK TO TOP
Note: All personal computers
have TWO kinds of software. First is the SYSTEMS software (Windows XP, Vista, or Windows
7 or Windows 8 ) that makes the computer run—most of us don't even care about this
because it runs in the background. Second is the APPLICATIONS software that makes the
computer useful—it is this software that allows us to do word processing,
spread sheeting, database, and to make presentations (Micrsoft Office
2010). Read about these requirements below.
You must have one of the following operating systems:. WINDOWS XP WITH SERVICE PACK 2, --VISTA, --- or WINDOWS 7 or WINDOWS 8 operating system.
ABOUT 'WINDOWS XP'
Although Windows XP is now a bit dated for an operating system you may still use it for this course. However, you must have SERVICE PACK 2 installed with your Windows XP, or you won't be able to install the REQUIRED Office 2010 software. The 'service pack' is a FREE download from Microsoft's homepage website. Contact Dr. Campbell if you need help on this. However almost all computers have the Service Pack already installed. Please be advised that the current textbooks is written and illustrated for the Windows 7 operating system.
ABOUT 'WINDOWS 8'
Application Software---All Required Software for (PC USERS only—not MacIntosh users) is available to you for FREE downloads.
Throughout this course we will use MS OFFICE 2010. The course textbook is written and illustrated EXCLUSIVELY for MS OFFICE 2010. IF YOU DO NOT have Office 2010 on your computer then you can DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY to install on your LAPTOP, or DESKTOP computer. To get your FREE download of MS Office 2010 copy and paste the following URL into your browser and once there follow directions to learn how to get your download.http://e5.onthehub.com/Webstore/Welcome.aspx?ws=14ba6b6c-efaf-dc11-ad27-0030485a6b08&JSEnabled=1
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT USING ‘older version” MS OFFICE 2007. Please be advised that this course is TAUGHT using a textbook specifically written and illustrated for MS Office 2010. Salem State University no longer supports OFFICE 2007. So DO NOT use this out dated software. Instead get your FREE download of OFFICE 2010 by following the directions given above.
Be aware that there are several different ways in which Microsoft Office is packaged and sold. You MUST have the package that contains all the following Applications:
NOTE!!! Just because you have Microsoft Office 2010 it doesn’t mean that YOUR VERSION has all the FOUR applications. Check to be sure that you have all FOUR application programs.
WHAT MS OFFICE VERISONS ARE ACCEPTABLE IN THIS COURSE?
REPEAT: You MUST use MS OFFICE 2010 in this course. The textbook is written and illustrated for Office 2010. You will not be allowed to use any earlier (2003 or older) version. Get your FREE download from SSU by following the directions given above.
HOW CAN I TELL WHICH VERSION OF M.S. OFFICE THAT'S ON MY COMPUTER?
1. Open up M.S. Word and from the menu list across the top of your screen and click on HELP
2. From the short 'drop down list' click on the choice option: ABOUT M.S. WORD
3. A dialogue box pops up with a 'blue bar' across the top that says: ABOUT MICROSOFT WORD.
4. Directly under the blue bar it tells you what 'year' (version) you have. If it says Microsoft Word 2010 then you've got the REQUIRED version for this course AS LONG AS YOU HAVE : Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access
STATED ABOVE: YOU MUST USE OFFICE 2010
that contains all 4 applications (including Access) simply get your
FREE DOWNLOAD from SSU by following the instructions given in (Part 2
Applications Software) above. If you are a MACINTOSH USER you DO
NOT have the ACCESS software, nor is it available for Mac Users.
For the ACCESS unit you MUST use a regular PC to do the Access
Unit. As a student at Salem State University you
entitled free access to any Computer Lab at the University and all such
Labs have the CORRECT version of Office (including the Access program).
Call the ITS HELP line at Salem State College for Computer Lab
and hours of operation. (978-542-2036 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 978-542-2036 end_of_the_skype_highlighting).
MACINTOSH USERS NOTE: Again, MacIntosh's version of
2011 does NOT contain ACCESS. For that reason MACINTOSH USERS
will be REQUIRED to obtain access to a regular PC when doing the Access
Unit. MacIntosh Users, please be sure to read the SPECIAL NOTICE
to MacIntosh users located in the COURSE COVERAGE section below.
It gives all the details you'll want to know if you plan to join
our class. It will be easy and fun for you too!
WHAT IF I MY OFFICE 2010 VERSION DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS?
This is an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT of the course. Any Virus
Scan software that is ‘updatable on-line’ is acceptable. For example Norton AntiVirus,
or McAfee AntiVirus software.
Both (and others) are reasonably priced and you can update them weekly
on-line without any additional
BACK TO TOP
TEXT BOOKS LISTED BELOW ARE AVAILABLE AT THE SALEM STATE COLLEGE BOOKSTORE:
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2010, INTRODUCTORY (Shelly Cashman Series). Authors: Shelly & Vermaat. Publisher: Course Technologies / Cengage Learning. Course Technologies, Boston MA. ISBN numbers are now (13) digits however you may find the text with and older (10) digit ISBN Number so BOTH ISBN Numbers are provided here. YOU MAY BUY EITHER TEXT (it's still the SAME book).
Also required: A good quality Virus Protections Software package such as MacAfee or Norton Anti Virus. Also you should have a good quality 'stick drive' (also known as a USB drive or 'thumb drive" for backing up your class work in case your computer crashes.
IT IS STRONGLY SUGGESTED THAT
YOU PURCHASE YOUR BOOK AND COURSE MATERIALS DIRECTLY FROM THE
SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY BOOKSTORE, THAT WAY YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE RIGHT BOOK! BUYING
TEXTBOOKS FROM ONLINE WEBSITES CAN BE A VERY TRICKY BUSINESS. THEY
OFTEN SEND THE WRONG TEXTS OUT OR CLAIM TO HAVE THEM ON 'BACKORDER' AND
THEY PROMISE THEY WILL SHIP THEM SOON---BUT EXPERIENCE HAS SHOWN THAT MANY
STUDENTS HAVE TROUBLE WITH THESE PURCHASES AND THEY GET A LATE START ON
by contacting your instructor via any
of the methods listed below:
(In Person, Phone, or On-line)
in-person help by calling your instructor for a personal help session
(352-391-1316 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 352-391-1316 end_of_the_skype_highlighting)
Contact your instructor thru CANVAS for a rapid response.
A phone conference with your instructor while you are on-line
Chat through Canvas
Skype 'live' session: Contact instructor in
advance to set up a scheduled 'meeting' time.
BACK TO TOP
· Ideally you should be able to type reasonably well. If not you can purchase a “Learn to Type” program like Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (or any similar basic keyboarding software) for only about $12.
· You must be motivated to do your work and keep up with the suggested (and sometimes required) due dates for assignments. Don’t wait to the last minute to do assignments.
willing to ask for help if you need it.
* CHECK YOUR CANVAS E-MAIL AND THE ANNOUNCEMENTS PAGE ON CANVAS VERY OFTEN
· KEEP YOUR VIRUS SOFTWARE UPDATED WEEKLY!
· Be willing to learn new things in new ways.
a sense of humor and a willingness to have fun while you learn.
This course involves coverage of MICROSOFT OFFICE: Word Processing, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint. We will also cover e-mail, the Internet, and active processing and manipulation of e-mail and attachments. Two electronic (open book) exams will be given. These are ON-LINE exams. You will take the exam and submit it electronically where it will be INSTANTLY graded. You will automatically get a 'grade report' back which shows the correct response to each question along with the response that you submitted. Also, computer theory will be covered in the course thru the use the required textbook. You will be given two exams on this material. Both will be multiple choice , open book, online exams. The course is currently taught using CANVAS software. You DO NOT have to purchase it. It is already on Salem State University's system and it is used to each the courses so YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT. .
SPECIAL NOTICE TO MACINTOSH USERS:
1. This entire course has been developed and designed for all PC based computers. All directions and illustrations and videos used in this course are designed for use on PC based computers and those directions and/or videos may not always look the same as the functions on your Macintosh! Also, because MS Word for Mac’s (2011) does NOT contain the REQUIRED ACCESS Data Base software, Mac users MUST get access to a REGULAR PC in order to complete the ACCESS DATA BASE UNIT. PC’s are readily available in every Computer Lab at the University and in the Library as well. You may, of course, borrow or use any PC you want but it must have MS OFFICE 2010 on it!!!
2. MAC USERS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN THIS COURSE. Even though this course was specifically designed for PC based computers any Mac user is welcome to join the class but he/she must note that: specific support for Mac users is not fully available at this time. That said, be advised that your instructor will help you in whatever way possible to help you when, on occasion, you might need assistance and, whenever possible the SSU IT HELP DESK will do what they can for you as well.
3. Be advised that Macintosh users should know that even though you may have a Mac with 'dual drive Windows Explorer with PC emulation', that NOT ALL PC FUNCTIONS for this course can be performed on the Mackintosh computer. Mac's are NOT 'truly and completely' compatible with PC's.
4. Note that in the last few semesters a small, but growing number, of Mac users have successfully completed the course, however, some students occasionally had to go to a computer lab at SSC to get access to a regular PC to in order to complete some assignments. This is especially true when we do the ACCESS UNIT because the Mac software (Office 2011) does NOT have ACCESS as part of the software package.
5. Therefore, Mac Users must obtain access to a regular PC to complete assignments in the ACCESS Unit (and to some extent in the POWERPOINT UNIT).
6. MacIntosh users MUST have Office (2011). To find out if you have that version first close out of all Word Processing documents that you have open-- then open Word Processing and watch for the opening logo on your screen and see if it says (OFFICE 2011)—as shown below. No OLDER version allowed. If you do NOT have (OFFICE 2011) please contact SSU’s IT HELP DESK at 978-542-2036 just in case a FREE version is available for you to download.
7. So, Mac users are welcome to join but they must accept the few conditions given above. If you have any questions please contact the instructor BEFORE ENROLLING at (352-391-1316)
SO, GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU MAC USERS.YOU’LL FIND THINGS WILL WORK OUT WELL!!!
A copy of the course syllabus will be posted in on CANVAS for you to download and print as soon as you log onto the
BACK TO TOP
Dr. Robert Campbell graduated from Salem
State University in 1972 from what was then called the Business
Education Department. Upon graduation he became a business education
teacher at an area secondary school. After completing his Master of
Education Degree at
A VIDEO CLIP WELCOME
& INTRODUCTION FROM DR. CAMPBELL:
To see a Video Clip 'welcome message'
from Dr. Campbell just scroll to the top of the webpage and click on
Campbell's photograph. That will take you to a YouTube.com video
introduction to ITC117. But, just for a smile, check out the
picture of Dr. Campbell's granddaughter (age 7 months) shown
below. Also show is a picture of Dr. Campbell after completing a
flying lesson at Beverly Airport and a picture of Dr. Campbell, his
wife, and daughter.
THANKS FOR READING
MY WEBAPAGE--HOPE TO SEE YOU IN CLASS!!
(END OF WEBPAGE)
THANKS FOR READING
MY WEBAPAGE--HOPE TO SEE YOU IN CLASS!!