CLASS INFORMATION-PLEASE READ------
-------ESSENTIAL CLASS INFORMATION-PLEASE READ------
CLICK ON PHOTO BELOW TO RUN CLICK ON SCREEN IMAGE BELOW TO RUN OFFICE 2013 DOWNLOAD
"MEET DR. CAMPBELL" VIDEO VIDEO "HOW TO BEGIN ITC117 CLASS" DIRECTIONS----CLICK ON LOGO
BELOW TO BEGIN VIDEO.
LOAD THE 32 BIT VERSION !!!
Though I hope you’ll read ALL the items listed above (in the box chart) it is ESSENTIAL that you at least check out these items; COMPUTER SYSTEMS REQUIREMENTS ; SYSTEMS SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS ; APPLICATION SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS and VIRUS SCAN SOFTWARE . Read on! I hope you’ll join me for a great time!
Welcome to the world of on-line education at Salem State University. If you are motivated, self-sufficient and interested in a unique learning experience, then this is the place for you. Together we will go on a journey that will help you discover more about yourself as a student while you acquire great new skills that will enhance your career potential and desirability to employers. I’m pleased that you are considering signing up for my ON-LINE Computer class. Please feel free to browse around this Webpage to get an understanding of what’s involved in taking this on-line course and learn about system requirements, skill requirements, grading procedures and more. SPECIAL WELCOME to those of you who are NEW TO ONLINE LEARNING. You'll find my videos wicked helpful and you can call me for one-on-one help over the phone. Not to worry. I'm here to help you succeed.
ITC117 COMPUTERS IN THE PROFESSIONS---(AND) Getting help using CANVAS
Course Description: This course is an
overview of information processing that is applicable to all career
considerations of societal trends and issues arising from the use of
With general computer concepts as a foundation, a major focus will be
increase the students’ personal and professional productivity through
use of various business-oriented software applications. Topics to
be covered include: operating systems, spreadsheets, database
word processing, graphics, and telecommunications, and integration
among all four applications in Office 2013. Three lecture hours
per week. This course satifies the computer literacy core requirement.
About CANVAS: We are using CANVAS software for all courses including this one. Concerning CANVAS software---You DON'T have to buy or install any software--just log onto www.salemstate.edu and under the LOGIN tab click on CANVAS. If you have trouble using or understanding CANVAS there's 24 hour help available. From 8:30am to 5:00 pm call (978-542-2036 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 978-542-2036 end_of_the_skype_highlighting). After 5:00pm call (888-301-5003 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 888-301-5003 end_of_the_skype_highlighting). In addition, your instructor is also available to help you--e-mail me or call me--contact numbers will be posted on your syllabus which is online in your CANVAS account once classes begin.
This is an On-Line course.Work whenever you find most convenient. Also, there are NO 'on-line group meetings' at all. Just be sure to watch your syllabus and e-mail and the ANNOUNCEMENTS on CANVAS for DUE DATES.
Introductory Note: All personal computers have TWO kinds of software.
First is the SYSTEMS software. (Windows 7 or Windows 8 ) that makes the computer run—most of us don't even care about this because it runs in the background. Note that FREE copies of the Operating System (Windows 7) is available from SSU's IT HELP desk. Call 978-542-2036
Second is the APPLICATIONS software that makes the
computer useful—it is this software that allows us to do word processing,
spread sheeting, database, and to make presentations. We will be using (Micrsoft Office
2013)--if you need it, copies are available for a FREE download from SSU's IT HELP desk. Call 978-542-2036
REQUIRED: PC Users must have Windows 7 or Window 8
installed on their computer. Windows XP is no longer supported.
Note that FREE copies of the Operating System (Windows 7) are
available for DOWNLOADS at the following website: www.salemstate.edu/software If you need help contact SSU's IT HELP desk. Call 978-542-2036
THIS COURSE REQUIRES THE USE OF THE FOLLOWING SOFTWARE:
PC USERS must use MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013
MAC USERS must use OFFICE 2011 FOR MACINTOSH
THIS SOFTWARE IS AVAILABLE TO YOU FOR A FREE DOWNLOAD. GO TO THE FOLLOWING WEB ADDRESS FOR YOUR FREE DOWNLOAD: www.salemstate.edu/software
SPECIAL NOTES BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD
A. PC USERS MUST DOWNLOAD THE 32 BIT VERSION !!!
B. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO UNINSTALL THE OLD 'OFFICE 2010'.
WHAT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE 'OFFICE 2013' INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER? Be aware that there are several different ways in which Microsoft Office is packaged and sold. Just because you have Microsoft Office 2013 it doesn’t mean that YOUR VERSION has all the FOUR applications which must include: MS WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, and ACCESS. If you are missing ANY of those four applications then you must download the FREE copy of 'MS OFFICE 2013' as explained above.
This is an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT of the course. Any Virus
Scan software that is ‘updatable on-line’ is acceptable. For example Norton AntiVirus,
or McAfee AntiVirus software.
Both (and others) are reasonably priced and you can update them weekly
on-line without any additional
cost. You may also use any good Free AntiVirus software such as
"Microsoft Essentials' or AVG Antivirus. You can find out how to
install "Microsoft Essentials by going to YouTube and search for:
How do I Install Microsoft Essentials.
BACK TO TOP
TEXT BOOK LISTED BELOW IS AVAILABLE AT THE SALEM STATE COLLEGE BOOKSTORE:
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2013, INTRODUCTORY
(Shelly Cashman Series).
HARD COPY REQUIRED----DO NOT PURCHASE A ‘DIGITAL TEXT’ Reason: In order to make use of the digital text you need to use TWO computers ‘at the same time’. You need one computer to run the textbook and right beside it you need another computer on which to enter the data and follow the step by step directions. It’s unworkable in a computer oriented class.
ANTI-VIRUS REQUIRED: A good quality Virus Protections Software package such as MacAfee or Norton Anti Virus. Or use a good FREE Anti-virus program like 'Microsoft Essentials" or AVG.
HAVE A GOOD QUALITY STICK DRIVE (also known as a USB drive or 'thumb drive" for backing up your class work in case your computer crashes. Or open up a free CLOUD STORAGE account.
IT IS STRONGLY SUGGESTED THAT
YOU PURCHASE YOUR BOOK AND COURSE MATERIALS DIRECTLY FROM THE
SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY BOOKSTORE, THAT WAY YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE RIGHT BOOK! BUYING
TEXTBOOKS FROM ONLINE WEBSITES CAN BE A VERY TRICKY BUSINESS. THEY
OFTEN SEND THE WRONG TEXTS OUT OR CLAIM TO HAVE THEM ON 'BACKORDER' AND
THEY PROMISE THEY WILL SHIP THEM SOON---BUT EXPERIENCE HAS SHOWN THAT MANY
STUDENTS HAVE TROUBLE WITH THESE PURCHASES AND THEY GET A LATE START ON
by contacting your instructor via any
of the methods listed below:
(In Person, Phone, or On-line)
in-person help by calling your instructor for a personal help session
(352-391-1316 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 352-391-1316 end_of_the_skype_highlighting)
Contact your instructor thru CANVAS for a rapid response.
A phone conference with your instructor while you are on-line
Chat through Canvas
Skype 'live' session: Contact instructor in
advance to set up a scheduled 'meeting' time.
BACK TO TOP
· Ideally you should be able to type reasonably well. If not you can purchase a “Learn to Type” program like Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (or any similar basic keyboarding software) for only about $12.
· You must be motivated to do your work and keep up with the suggested (and sometimes required) due dates for assignments. Don’t wait to the last minute to do assignments.
willing to ask for help if you need it.
* CHECK YOUR CANVAS E-MAIL AND THE ANNOUNCEMENTS PAGE ON CANVAS VERY OFTEN
· KEEP YOUR VIRUS SOFTWARE UPDATED WEEKLY!
· Be willing to learn new things in new ways.
a sense of humor and a willingness to have fun while you learn.
This course involves coverage of MICROSOFT OFFICE: Word Processing, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint. We will also cover e-mail, the Internet, and active processing and manipulation of e-mail and attachments. Two electronic (open book) exams will be given. These are ON-LINE exams. You will take the exam and submit it electronically where it will be INSTANTLY graded. You will automatically get a 'grade report' back which shows the correct response to each question along with the response that you submitted. Also, computer theory will be covered in the course thru the use the required textbook. You will be given two exams on this material. Both will be multiple choice , open book, online exams. The course is currently taught using CANVAS software. You DO NOT have to purchase it. It is already on Salem State University's system and it is used to each the courses so YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT. .
SPECIAL NOTICE TO MACINTOSH USERS:
1. This entire course has been developed and designed for all PC based computers. All directions and illustrations and videos used in this course are designed for use on PC based computers and those directions and/or videos may not always look the same as the functions on your Macintosh! Also, because MS Word for Mac’s (2011) does NOT contain the REQUIRED ACCESS Data Base software, Mac users MUST get access to a REGULAR PC in order to complete the ACCESS DATA BASE UNIT. PC’s are readily available in every Computer Lab at the University and in the Library as well. You may, of course, borrow or use any PC you want but it must have MS OFFICE 2010 on it!!!
2. MAC USERS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN THIS COURSE. Even though this course was specifically designed for PC based computers any Mac user is welcome to join the class but he/she must note that: specific support for Mac users is not fully available at this time. That said, be advised that your instructor will help you in whatever way possible to help you when, on occasion, you might need assistance and, whenever possible the SSU IT HELP DESK will do what they can for you as well.
3. Be advised that Macintosh users should know that even though you may have a Mac with 'dual drive Windows Explorer with PC emulation', that NOT ALL PC FUNCTIONS for this course can be performed on the Mackintosh computer. Mac's are NOT 'truly and completely' compatible with PC's.
4. Note that in the last few semesters a small, but growing number, of Mac users have successfully completed the course, however, some students occasionally had to go to a computer lab at SSC to get access to a regular PC to in order to complete some assignments. This is especially true when we do the ACCESS UNIT because the Mac software (Office 2011) does NOT have ACCESS as part of the software package.
5. Therefore, Mac Users must obtain access to a regular PC to complete assignments in the ACCESS Unit (and to some extent in the POWERPOINT UNIT).
6. MacIntosh users MUST have Office (2011). To find out if you have that version first close out of all Word Processing documents that you have open-- then open Word Processing and watch for the opening logo on your screen and see if it says (OFFICE 2011). No OLDER version allowed. If you do NOT have (OFFICE 2011) please contact SSU’s IT HELP DESK at 978-542-2036 for assistance in downloading your FREE version from SSU's website.
7. So, Mac users are welcome to join but they must accept the few conditions given above. If you have any questions please contact the instructor BEFORE ENROLLING at (352-391-1316)
SO, GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU MAC USERS.YOU’LL FIND THINGS WILL WORK OUT WELL!!!
A copy of the course syllabus will be posted in on CANVAS for you to download and print as soon as you log onto the
BACK TO TOP
Dr. Robert Campbell graduated from Salem
State University in 1972 from what was then called the Business
Education Department. Upon graduation he became a business education
teacher at an area secondary school. After completing his Master of
Education Degree at
A VIDEO CLIP WELCOME
& INTRODUCTION FROM DR. CAMPBELL:
To see a Video Clip 'welcome message'
from Dr. Campbell just scroll to the top of the webpage and click on
Campbell's photograph. That will take you to a YouTube.com video
introduction to ITC117. But, just for a smile, check out the
picture of Dr. Campbell's granddaughter (age 7 months) shown
below. Also show is a picture of Dr. Campbell after completing a
flying lesson at Beverly Airport and a picture of Dr. Campbell, his
wife, and daughter.
THANKS FOR READING
MY WEBAPAGE--HOPE TO SEE YOU IN CLASS!!
(END OF WEBPAGE)
THANKS FOR READING
MY WEBAPAGE--HOPE TO SEE YOU IN CLASS!!